There is or there are a table and three chairs
We use the singular form of the verb when the subject is:
(a) singular (b) uncountable (c) a clause
Threre is OR There are
- Sarah is twenty-one today.
- The antique furniture in Mrs McDonald’s old house was sold for £14,000.
- In good dental care, what is important is regular brushing and a good mouthwash.
- What we are interested in is wheat varieties.
ربما يعجبك هذا أيضا
If the items are being counted separately like the following, :
Then, you say : There is a table and three chairs in the room.
- There is a table and there are three chairs in the room.
The general rule is that the verb form matches the item(s) that it is adjacent to
- There are three chairs and a table in the room.