منتديات كويك لووك
(نسخة قابلة للطباعة من الموضوع)
https://www.quicklook4u.com/vb/t18704
أنقر هنا لمشاهدة الموضوع بهيئته الأصلية

Articles a, an , the
Galal Hasanin 05-10-2013 02:22 مساءً
Articles a, an , the
gamr15.com-cf8552a41b
The use of articles ("a," "an," and "the" or no article) is an area of special significance for multilingual writers, since it is characterized by large variation across languages. In consequence, any error in this area will be very noticeable in an text as a mark of non-native writing. Given this fact, it is important for multilingual writers to master the use and non-use of articles and to learn the meaning their use/non-use conveys in English.

THE complaint was dismissed.
A new witness changed the course of the trial.
AN accountant was called to testify.
[0] Justice was served.

([0] = No article)

This section covers the English articles THE, A, AN and their omission. We will also show you a method for deciding which article to use when you are not sure.

Two important concepts are linked to article usage: "countability" and "definiteness." Understanding these concepts will help you decide whether to use an article or not and on which article to use.

DEFINITENESS

Articles in English have two types of reference: DEFINITE (referring to a specific member of a group, e.g. THE) and INDEFINITE (referring to any member of a group, e.g., A, AN). A "definite" article is used to give specific reference to a noun and to refer to something known to both the writer/speaker and the reader/listener.

I welcomed THE visitor today.
(Definite reference: both the writer/speaker and the reader/listener know what visitor you are referring to)

vs.

I received A visitor today.
(Indefinite reference: you are not specifying what visitor you are referring to and you are the only one who knows that)

The definite article THE is used when BOTH the writer/speaker and the reader/listener know what is being referred to. If neither of them or only one of them knows what is being referred to, then the indefinite articles A/AN should be used.

Definiteness Examples Does the ___ know what is being referred to?
Writer/Speaker Reader/Listener
Definite I read THE book yesterday yes yes
Indefinite I read A book on Criminal Law yesterday yes no
Indefinite I know you read A book on Criminal Law no yes
Indefinite I will buy A book on Criminal Law no no

1. Indefinite Articles: A and AN

A and AN refer to any member of a group; you are not referring to any member in particular.

• a + singular noun beginning with a consonant: a reaction
  • an + singular noun beginning with a vowel: an act
  • a + singular noun beginning with a consonant sound (even though it may start with a vowel letter): a uniform (same sound as in young or yesterday)

When an adjective modifies the noun, the use of A or AN is determined by the initial sound of the adjective immediately following the article (and no longer by the noun):

an enemy; but a furious enemy
a performance; but an average performance
a European criminal; but an undetectable European criminal

Unlike other languages, English requires the presence of indefinite articles to indicate membership:

• religion: Maria Ramirez is a Roman Catholic from the NY archdiocese.
• profession: I am a lawyer.
• nation: Mr. Brown is an Englishman who immigrated to this country in 1959.

2. Definite Article: THE

English requires the use of the definite article THE before singular and plural nouns to indicate specific reference, reference to a particular member of a group.

Compare: A dog bit the plaintiff. (any dog; either you do not need to specify which dog you are referring to or you simply don't know)

vs.

The dog bit the plaintiff. (a specific dog; both you and your reader/listener know which dog you are referring to)

In general, the article THE is used:

with noncountable nouns that are made more specific by using a modifying phrase or clause (underlined below):

• the defense presented at the trial was especially weak.
  • the image he projects does not favor his case.
  • the concept of diversity applies here.

and when a noun has a specific reference to something unique:

• the 2001 CUNY budget
  • the Pentagon
  • the last State of the Union address

and it is not used with noncountable nouns that refer to something in a general sense:

• [0] Justice is a concept difficult to grasp sometimes. [0] = No article

The use of THE (Definite Reference) is determined by the following specific instances:

• When something is mentioned for the second time in the text:
    I wrote a letter of complaint [first mention, indefinite].
    Instead,
    I wrote a letter of complaint. THE letter had an angry tone [second mention, definite]
  • With the superlative (because it signals there is only one possible referent):
    THE son was THE most articulate witness in the case.
  • When only one entity exists:
    THE Moon is a satellite. [There is only one satellite we refer to as 'the Moon']
  • When a phrase modifying the noun provides more information that specifies the reference of the noun:
    THE witness (that) you brought refused to testify.
    THE witness from Connecticut refused to testify
    THE witness who refused to testify was arrested in a street incident yesterday.

Note:

I read a book about Criminal Law for the exam. (the phrase about Criminal Law is not specific enough to limit the reference of the noun; it could be ANY book about Criminal Law)

vs.

THE book about Criminal Law that was assigned by the professor was too complicated. (the phrase that was assigned by the professor limits the reference to only ONE entity; it's not ANY book: it's the book assigned by the professor.
  • When both the writer/speaker and the reader/listener know what is being referred to (maybe because they are in the same situation):
    Open THE window..
    I'm going to THE library.

Follow the next reply
منتديات كويك لووك

Copyright © 2009-2024 PBBoard® Solutions. All Rights Reserved